Monday, February 4, 2013

Still Kicking, even though bruised

    So, did you give up on me yet?  Sorry for the prolonged delay in an update, but sometimes life has this knack of kicking you in the groin and stepping back and laughing.
    So...I am considering myself well kicked.
    First the disclaimer:  This is not about feeling sorry or pitying myself.  This is just my lets be brutally honest about life, and the secret is how do you deal with it?
    I'll take looking at it optimistically.
    Here's the situation.  The current economy has cost me my house due to no work. I am not getting annoyed, because truthfully, I made an agreement and can't honor it, and they hung in there longer than expected.
    Lights, water (which has been turned off), gas and cable...all are on their last legs.  Even the Captain of the Titanic knew when he was on a lost cause.
   Mine may be a dinghy, but I am aware that it is beyond saving.
    The reality of the situation is simply that my work dried up and left me with relatively no income to speak of.  To the point where we've went on public assistance in the terms of food stamps or the more PC term of TANF.  Doesn't matter which one you choose.  And note that I am NOT getting cash, just grub.(you may fire the torches up after I'm done about becoming another leech on the teat of the government.  My objective is to be back off of it as fast as possible.)
      Fortunately, I found a camper. 28 foot camper to house my wife, three kids dog cats and me.
    My mother has told me to park it in her yard, so that helps.  And as for getting financial assistance from her?  Mom's on Social Security and providing for my brother and his daughter and granddaughter, as well as his two sons.  If she found a nickel under the couch it belongs to someone else, cause she has no disposable income.  Her house is a whopping 1,100 square foot one bath house.
   Basically, we're going from a 2,300 square foot house to a 600 square foot camper.  Should be interesting.  If we get gas and start flatulating all over the place, we'll probably all choke.
   One dog fart and it'll look like a firedrill with people diving out the door.
   Anywho....I'll be keeping up online any chance I get.  Gonna see if I can scrounge up another $200.00 to get a rental truck so I can put all our crap in storage until we recover,   
   Am I depressed?  I'm sure it would be depressing if I gave in to it and let it do so.  I won't.  It's another journey for me to walk down, and, as long as I have my family with me, and we're together, it's all good.  There's people that are in worse shape than we are.  
    Bad as it sounds, I at least have a camper to move in.  There's other folks living in cars or under bridges.
   Bizarre as it sounds, I'll do my best to remain positive and look on the bright side.
   The bright side is we have a camper.
   We'll work to keep everything, and I'll be looking for a job again in a couple of days, even if it means I am flipping burgers at a hamburger joint, I'll be doing so with a smile, because dammit, I'm at least making a check again.
    One day I'll recover from this.  We'll recover from this.  We may get sick of staring at each other in short order, but at least we can still do so.
    In parting, here's my final comments:  Please don't take my post or blog as a downer.  It's not meant to be, nor is it meant to plea for money.  You'll notice I have no paypal or other donate/pay me links.  It's not about that.
   It's about taking a moment, each of us, and not looking at how well the guy down the street is doing, but rather, how well you're doing.  As bad as any of us feel about our position in life, there's someone out there who is doing worse.
   Rather than wanting to rage against the machine, realize that you have things in your life to be thankful for.  We all do.  I have a wife that I love dearly, who is standing beside me, even in this time, and is accepting of it.  My strength and guiding light.
   My kids are with us, and are all pitching in and helping.  
   Realistically, even though my screen name is Zombie Tripper, I do believe in God, and that He never lets us be tested beyond what we can bear.
   If I am in this situation, then He believes this is not too much, and we can handle it, so we will do just that.
   Never doubt yourself, never point fingers at others and pass blame off on them.
   Accept your situation, and roll on from there.  And smile.  I am.  I still have a pulse, my feet still hit the floor when I sit up from bed, which means I have another day to improve my station again.
   Life's challenges should make you appreciate what you have more than they make you envy what you don't have.
   Stay strong.  As soon as I figure out how to post pics I'll post some of my new domicile when it gets hooked up tomorrow, and then I'll try to update every week or so.
  

2 comments:

  1. Good luck! I'm glad you have your camper and your family is all pulling together. That's inspiring. Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you the very best. I'm sorry you find yourself in the position you're in, but know enough not to underestimate the camper and support of your family. Sending peace and prayers,

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a message.